Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Runner in Training

The last time I ran a "race" was a year before Rachel was born and I did the 5K with some co-workers. I vowed that would be the longest race I'd do. That was until a couple weeks ago when my friend Tracey challenged me to run a half-marathon with her in Phoenix in January. At first I brushed her off as crazy, but then I thought the training could be a good way to get in shape even if I can't accomplish the whole thing! So I got a good deal on a jogger stroller, got the two older kids off to school, strapped Noah in and took off running. We did 4 miles today - as you can see it really wore him out!

I was discussing my insanity, er, goal with a friend at the YMCA who has done a few half-marathons, and she told me once I can get to 6 miles, it gets easier. I have a training schedule to help me take this whole thing in do-able chunks, so hopefully there will actually come a point where running 13.1 miles doesn't seem like an impossibility! I just can't imagine running for over 2 hours straight. I am strategizing though - I figure pushing a stoller as I train should make it easier when I just have to run alone, and training at a high elevation should make it seem easier when I'm down in the Valley for race time. Hey, anything to get an edge...ha ha! Basically, if I can avoid knee pain & shin splints I should be able to do this. Unfortunately, I already have one knee that is acting up. Just another reminder that I'm getting old!

No comments: